Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Knowledge: Elizabeth Hurley on how to stay healthy


A little bit of self-discipline and a lot of healthy eating is all you need to stay in shape, says the model and actress Elizabeth Hurley.
A little exercise 
There's no short-cut to being slim; you have to watch what you eat. I put myself under extra pressure because I still model my own bikinis, but I do have little treats now and again, such as Fruit Pastilles or marshmallows - my current favourites. You must do some exercise, too. I walk every day with my dogs and try to run - even though I hate running. I love pilates and yoga but don't do them regularly. I am extremely active, though, and don't sit still for long. I rarely go for a walk without taking the Strimmer with me, and I do stomach and bottom exercises while I wait for the bath to fill


Eat organic 
Getting as much sleep as possible and following a healthy diet will stop you from feeling run-down if, like me, you're super-stressed. I have my own organic farm so eat only my own meat and vegetables. I buy everything else from a local farmer's market and health-food shops. I eat very little processed food. In between meals I have one of my own snack bars instead of crisps or chocolate
Breath of fresh air 
Spending time outdoors makes you feel great. I love being outside in the country and I'm glad that my son, Damian, has grown up predominantly on the farm, instead of inhaling pollutants in London. I do a lot of gardening and also use the tractor and the JCB. I love imposing order on unruly hedges
All the right checks 
We're all scared of breast cancer; it's a horrific disease but is often curable if detected early. It's very important to get a regular mammogram after the age of 40 and to check your own breasts every month. I go around the world every October on behalf of Estée Lauder spreading the word to as many women as possible. We also light up beautiful buildings in pink to remind women to think of their breast health. Like a lot of people, I have lost relatives and friends to breast cancer, and scientists know that the only thing stopping them finding a cure is funding. We need to put our money where our mouths are
An instant pick-me-up 
I always wear make-up as I don't see the point of looking less than your best - I'm a huge make-up fan. I can be fully made up in five minutes flat, with a light foundation, blusher, eye pencil, eyelash curler, mascara and a slick of lip gloss. It makes me feel a million times better. You don't need a lengthy make-up routine, but just a little can make a difference. Also, try to find time to look after your hair. Jo Hansford does my colour and I use Origins hair care, which smells gorgeous and is full of good ingredients

Relax and unwind 
We all need to relax more, but I don't find it easy. The one place I can really unwind is in the bath, once I've put Damian to bed. I light a candle, sprinkle in some Dead Sea salts and some Jo Malone bath oil, then read for half an hour. All the dogs sit around the bath watching me, which is sweet. Then I text a few friends, do a few Tweets and get dressed for dinner feeling like a new girl