Saturday, July 16, 2011

5 Summer Staples: Eye Makeup Essentials to Beat the Heat

Summer, summer, summer time!
Orange eyeshadow? Come to mama. Teal eyeliner? I’m all over it. You don’t have to ask me twice when it comes to trying trendy eye makeup. The answer is the same emphatic “Yes!” I’d give to an up-close-and-personal search from Detective Elliot Stabler on Law & Order: SVU.

But while outrageous eyes can be a blast, this girl’s gotta have her steady staples, too. Tried-and-true eye makeup essentials, like the five summer staples below, can keep your eyes fly when the temperature climbs.

1. Waterproof mascara

urban decay cannonball review brush

Urban Decay Cannonball Waterproof Mascara
Don’t let melting mascara ruin your chances with that hot, muscled, baby-faced guy in your summer school statistics class — the one you thought was adoring you from across the room but later realized was probably wondering how you ended up with two black eyes.
Escape that fate with an industrial-strength waterproof mascara like Urban Decay’s Cannonball ($20). It’s a little pricey, but it stretches my lashes to the limit, resisting sweat and water like a champ (I’ve been wearing it in all my pictures as of late).

2. Eye primer


NARS Pro Prime Smudge-Proof Eye Shadow Base
Whether I’m applying a single eyeshadow or five, I reach for eye primers to protect my work from fading, creasing and melting in the heat. My favorite right now? —NARS Pro Prime Smudge-Proof Eye Shadow Base ($24), and I also like Urban Decay Primer Potion ($19) and Too Faced Shadow Insurance ($18).
I haven’t had the chance to try it yet, but Cover Girl’s $8 Intense Shadow Blast in Beige Blaze sounds like a great drugstore option. MBB reader Erin says it intensifies colors and keeps eyeshadows locked down all day long (thanks, Erin!).

3. Eye cream with SPF


Clarins Sun Wrinkle Eye Contour Care SPF 30
GURL, I don’t have many regrets, but I wish I hadn’t waited until college to get serious about regularly applying sunscreen around my eyes.
Clarins Sun Wrinkle Eye Contour Care SPF 30 ($28) has been my go-to cream for about a year now, and it’s hands down my favorite for daytime. It layers well beneath makeup, absorbs almost immediately, moisturizes well and doesn’t sting my eyes.
If you’re on a tighter budget, I’ve heard great things about Garnier Skin Renew Anti Sun Damage Daily Eye Cream with SPF 15 ($11).

4. Waterproof liquid eyeliner

make up for ever aqua liner tips

Make Up For Ever Aqua Liners from left to right: Diamond Multicolor Black, Iridescent Emerald Green and Diamond Gold
When I’m too rushed (or lazy) to do a full eye makeup look, I like to slick a bit of waterproof liquid liner in a bright shade along my upper lash line for fast, fun look. I’m lovin’ Make Up For Ever Aqua Liner ($23), MAC Superslick Liquid Eye Liner($17.50) and Stila Sparkle Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner ($22).
I’m still on the hunt for a holy grail drugstore liquid liner, so if you have any suggestions, I’m all ears! :)

5. Long-wearing under-eye concealer


Never give up! Never surrender! — to dark circles. I would love to have that printed on a bumper sticker, ha! Try to find a long-wearing under-eye concealer tough enough to stand up to sweat. Right now I’m loving MAC Prolongwear Concealer ($16.50), which cruises through the hottest, muggiest days (lasts at least 12-15 hours on me).